October 2016 – The Ohio State University at Mansfield – Mathematics Literacy Initiative (MLI) is taking strides to increase teacher professional development regionally by developing:
- A professional learning community that provides professional development for K-8 teachers based on the Algebra Project’s 5-step curricular process. The initiative currently serves five school districts and more than a dozen schools.
- A culturally relevant classroom culture as a means of connecting to all students.
- The effectiveness of mathematics instruction by increasing teacher content and pedagogical knowledge.
- Support capacity-building for the expansion of the Algebra Project (AP)-based mathematics literacy work throughout the state of Ohio and the U.S.
- continuing to cultivate a partnership of The Ohio State University at Mansfield and Mansfield City Schools – the MLI is housed at the Springmill Learning Center, under the co-direction of Drs. Lee McEwan and Terri Bucci.
Please see more online at http://mansfield.osu.edu/initiatives/math-literacy-initiative/